Sunday, March 20, 2011

a little light reading

The primary inspiration for my art is the "good" I see in the world. The Fathers' touch is everywhere in the cosmos, my neighbour's face and in the dirt under the microscope. My paintings are influenced by my world view and probably a reaction against much of the past century of art history. While concurring with Stuart McAllister's statement that "much of the energy and effort of our artists and cultural architects has gone into debunking, dismantling, or deconstructing all that is good, beautiful, and respected, to be replaced with the shallow, the ugly, the ephemeral" how then should I work out my art? Creating romantic, disneyesque propoganda is not an option and is an intellectual and spiritual dead end. Thomas Kinkaid's portrayal of "a world without the Fall" is visual cotton candy that, regardless of his excellent workmanship, takes the viewer into a blind alley.
Too critical? coming from a marginal painter- perhaps but that is the nature of blogging.

In the attached detail of my painting "Joy Ride" we see a young woman reveling in the glory of the moment, rolling through vineyards, spring air breezing through her hair, couched in a lovely roadster. Contrary to the absurd cliche "it's all good", we see a deteriorating roadway, vines that require constant physical labour to maintain and a painting technique that suggests imperfections and possibly decay in the Porsche's bodywork. Even the passenger's identity is a bit questionable.

I see a world full of wonder with many opportunities for joy rides, but it is also a bit bent. Something is not quite right here, and how do we get back to it?

Next time, more pictures, less words. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment