Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cars as art





Its time for a new season of Formula One racing to begin; this weekend in Australia! Exciting!
I painted "Fire in the Pits" from a time when seven time world champion Michael Schumacher dominated the field for Ferrari. The drama in the pits is always entertaining and all the red cars and uniforms remind me of ants. Michaels back driving for Mercedes but he's an old man now and its unlikely he'll overtake those twenty year olds. Or ????


I have been painting a series of old Porsche favorites lately. The classic cars seem as much an art form as anything humans set their hands and minds to. I guess, being mass produced, they cant claim absolute originality but these old guys were largely hand built and when I'm through with painting one they are pretty unique.

Carving a turn under the claybanks in a 356 Speedster


A venerable RS from '73

No comments:

Post a Comment