Friday, February 3, 2012

A Sense of Place

There is a real joy in the painting life. You have opportunity to enter a place, rest within it and respond however it directs you. The longer you spend engaged with your senses attuned to nature the more she offers up.

This scene is about the ambiant heat of an Okanagan day. It's about the pine with their lower branches blackened from summer fires and it's about the soft needle blanketed ground. It's about dust obscured atmosphere, heavy with heat.

This is the lure of landscape painting, particularly solitary work in the wild. It's a kind of meditation with the divine. It resets your perspective on your place within nature and before your Creator.


I started this painting last summer high in the hills above our lake. It sat in my studio until this winter. I rearranged the composition for a pleasing visit to a familiar place.

1 comment:

  1. I believe I like your commentary as much as I enjoy your painting of it. One of my most favourite things in my entire world is the scent and visual combo of Ponderosa Pine in the dry heat of our Okanagan summer. The crackling pungent nose these magnificent trees give off and the irregular shapes of their burnt sienna bark plaques are irrevocably stamped in my senses. You have captured the essence of this beautifully in your lovely impression above - and to see our grand lake with the softly rounded mountains beyond is simply a visual icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete