Friday, February 10, 2012

Design

I'm rounding the half way point in my portrait project now. My objective has been to learn about painting people in the process of working through 100 portraits in a year. I've imposed on myself parameters in order to keep the pieces consistent and the trajectory even. Like any endeavor, the more you work at it the faster you become. The temptation, for myself, is to pull out ever smaller tools and pursue detail.

For my work that will be fatal. Ultimately I want the piece to carry the strength that considered and expressive visible brushwork achieves. Too much rendering of detail denies mystery and poetry.
I'm choosing to put more energy into the design of each painting. I will be disciplined in time management and stay within my arbitrary guidelines for the sake of the series. You readers and sitters can hold me accountable.

Connie D. , below, tried on a few scarves of various colours knotted differently. I decided to keep the colour subdued and I pulled the fabric (in my mind) off to the left. I think the result is pleasing and has a comfortable but slightly unbalanced flow.



This week I am working on a commissioned floral painting. I have to work from a photo I took of a brief blooming. It is certainly a departure from my portraits and landscapes. I will share the result with you however it may turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment