Saturday, February 25, 2012

Painting Sky Holes


This is a phenomenon that is well known amongst outdoor painters but if you are just starting out it is another tool you can use to create effective landscapes. If you are not a painter then this is trivia. Interesting though, when you look around and see it happening everywhere.

Wherever there is a cluster of branches, wires, sailing boat masts or what have you grouped closely together they will obscure the sky that you are observing through them, effectively darkening it a level or two.


Our minds know that the clouds behind this tree that I photographed in my yard this morning is the same overall value. Interesting that our eyes read the small sky holes as a lower value. To create a believable sky I will grey down the smaller sky holes, the smaller the hole , the darker the value.



Here's the painting of an Amaryllis that I did last week. Blossoms are fun to paint and I can see why painters like to do huge canvases filled with giant blossoms.



I'll be involved in a show at the Little Straw Winery in West Kelowna this April. I'll keepyou posted as the date approaches.

Until next time...............

No comments:

Post a Comment