Saturday, June 18, 2011

Standing Again



This week I tried out my new platform. This is a 24" tall sturdy chair stand for my portrait subjects to sit on. Now I can stand at my easel and step a few paces back to compare my painting with my subject eye to eye. I have some space limitations so I can't launch backwards with abandon or I'll take out a partition wall. I may choose to tear that out later. I've also made my platform and work table easily movable so I can work by a large window taking advantage of some natural light. This seems much softer than the spots I've previously used.

Our FCA chapter teamed with the central and north Okanagan chapters to host the Tryptich show at the Shatford Center. Reception was last night and there must have been about 250 people attending. Renowned artist Robert Genn gave an engaging talk on the life of the artist. I found him to be very encouraging and had some sage advise. Joanna enjoyed him too, even though she is not a painter. The show is worth a look-runs for a few weeks.

I have some landscapes underway. I hope the rain leaves soon so I can do some work on site. Soon I'll hopefully be able to post a few sneak peeks of paintings I'm working on for the Tumbleweed show in September.

The portrait below turned out especially well I think. There's a real strength of character as well as a vulnerability that speaks to me through this lady. I called it "The Decision" because when I contemplated the final piece I really felt this could be a point of departure.


My '73 RS painting is off to a new home this week. I was reminded how important frame selection is again. I chose a brushed pewter fairly wide one on this and it really makes the blue and white body panels sing . If you know anyone who might enjoy a classic car painting please let them know that I'm always happy to have an excuse to paint great old cars.



Talk to you next time.

1 comment:

  1. I really love the portrait of Laura. It does indeed have the qualities you mention. Nice work Bill.

    ReplyDelete