Friday, June 3, 2011

PP11 Continued

I've been asked to keep posting examples of my recent portrait paintings so I'll continue to keep you abreast of my Portrait Project regularly. I'm still happy to accept any volunteers so drop me a line if you are interested. I'm booked for about a month right now.


Here is another example of the process I go through when dealing with portraits. This is Bev (portrait #14) . I'll stick with this procedure for a few more and then I think I'll introduce hands and other elements into the compositions. I want to purchase some suitable lighting but need to make some $ first. I am planning to build a platform to elevate my subjects as this will allow me to paint in a standing position. That will be much more natural for me.
First off I do a very simple line drawing. I use vine charcoal and lightly dust it off before paint application.

A basic two value study using ultamarine blue, transparent red earth and white.
Add a third value and scrub over the background a bit to engage the subject a bit.
A little more refinement, solve any value problems and push things around until the features resemble my subject to my satisfaction.
Choose colours, tighten up some shapes and lay in a violet backgroud to punch up the fleshtones a little. Declare the painting finished.

1 comment:

  1. It is so cool seeing the images of the individuals come to life...I think it is amazing..especially when you know who they are. Don't forget when you are stuck for someone call.

    ReplyDelete