Sunday, April 10, 2011

You Know More Than You Realize





Often when people approach me while I'm painting outdoors they preface any comments with something like "I don't know anything about art but........". Its funny how the general population has been brainwashed into thinking that without an art education or having the benefit of some enlightened criticism they are unable to recognize good art.
Its really not true if you think about it. Consider music. We may have no musical training or even a rhythmic bone in our bodies but we intuitively recognize great music.
I know absolutely nothing about ballet but even I can recognize great dance when I see it. I may be ignorant of the the technical nuances, historical references or even the basic plot. Yet I can see what is good (or bad).
If you are interested in art appreciation and wonder why you are uninspired with virtually all of the contemporary art being presented to you by our public galleries and museums check out this link.Click here
Scott Burdick is a wonderful painter and he's uploaded this biased but clearly intelligent opinion about the present state of art in the west. I think you will enjoy it.
The good news is that there is a revival of interest and appreciation for quality representational work underway today in the commercial gallery system.

This past week I've been rained on, sleeted on and snowed on. Much of my time was spent refreshing my plein-air process and most of my paintings were reduced to mud through overwork but I'm excited to be out there with the deer and coyotes again.






Have A Great Week! I'm praying for some SUNLIGHT! PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment