Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Working Small Pt. 2



OK, jumping back into this. This morning the paint seems to be pretty stable. I guess I have saturated this canvas with enough oil that I can count on this retaining its strength.

I looked at the modeling of Mekfira's face, particularly her forehead. I wanted to warm up the parts of her face that are turning from light into shadow so I put more red in there. It's not really accurate to observed colour but the value is right and its more visually exciting. I want to draw attention to the star of my painting which is this lovely young girl.
You will also notice some stars appearing in the darkening canopy of sky.

I'm putting in more cobalt into the sky which by value contrast makes the stars pop .

Blogger isn't showing it so well but the sky is deepening and I've amplified some highlights on the clothing.
Here's a closer look at where Mekfira's face is at.

This painting is called "The Reader". When I initially painted Mekfira's portrait I was inspired by her involvement with the book she was engrossed in while sitting for me. The written word is able to transport us all to unlimited worlds and experiences. That is the idea I'm trying to express here.
I need to let this piece rest for a while and I will decide tomorrow whether it needs more work or not.

I have decided to finish this off tonight. It's always good to get comfortable and sit back to consider what if anything a painting may need. In this case I can see some weaknesses.


I decided to deal with the clothing with a stronger value range . This, I think you'll agree clarifies what is in sun and what is in shade. I thought the braids on the right needed a bit stronger work so darkened them some. There was a little annoying negative shape beside the ear that was distracting so I knocked it down. I think I'm happy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment