Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Mystery





You remember this little painting (The Reader) that I demo'd a couple of posts back. She was accepted into the FCA show that I'd entered her into which was great news. I figured she was dry enough so I applied some varnish as usual and set her away to dry.


Look what has volunteered to light up my sky. This is one of those rare gifts that can come along when you are making art. Where did all those tiny stars come from? Pixies? Well the left side of my brain says of course there was some kind of chemical reaction from the varnish.


Probably, but I have used the same varnish on hundreds of paintings and never seen this before. Also, the little milky way only appears in the sky area of the painting. Not a speck anywhere else. Curious, but I'll happily take it. Any theories?

This morning I tramped around the back country scouting out locations and subjects for the winter. I am really looking forward to painting snow and winter light effects this year.

Any of you painters out there seeing potential here? How do you select your subjects and what would you leave in and take out of these spots?



I'd be interested to get some comments from other painters and get some different input on your process when painting outdoors. I will be working in this area soon and will try and demo a few landscapes in upcoming posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment