Saturday, April 23, 2011

Wet Paint


This past week I've been working at using different colours of the same value but different temperatures to describe form. Instead of painting the shaded portion of my face all one dark flesh colour you can see I used red, ochre, blue, green and violet. Likewise in the lit areas I combine different colours in the same value to create some visual excitement and emotion.
Sadly this photo does not reproduce well so you'd have to see the painting first hand to appreciate the proper effect. Double click on the image to full enlargement and you can get a better feel for the brushwork.
I'm starting to treat my paintings a little like a sculptor will when he/she pares away at a three dimensional piece.There is a back and forth process as I work different hues beside and over each other. The challenge is to create a visual feast , pushing the work up to the point before it all turns to mud. I think I'm making some headway.
If you wonder why I painted myself the reason is that I'm available and all I need is a mirror. I plan to do more figurative work from life but will spend more time getting comfortable with my process before paying out sitting fees.




No comments:

Post a Comment