Friday, January 27, 2012

Thick or thin



Here's a couple of portraits similar in feeling but technically quite divergent. Clair, the fellow with a ball cap on was approached with a brush fully loaded while Tim, in the lower painting was painted quite thinly. I enjoy the freedom to attack a particular piece using whatever method seems appropriate.


I prepped Tim's canvas with a blue ground for a change. It gave me the opportunity to scrape paint off in the reflected light in the shadows for a pretty convincing look. There is always colourful lights hiding in the shadows. Your camera won't record them but spend some time looking and you will be impressed by the opportunities to create exciting passages in your shadows.


I will share a large landscape I have just completed in my next post. Until then..

1 comment:

  1. Your portraits are getting better and better.
    Don't know which one of the two i like better...But I know Tim and you captured him beautifully!

    ReplyDelete