Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Whats in a name?

A lady was visiting my studio this week and we had a short discussion about the naming of this painting, "The Promise".


When I produce a lot of work I can be so involved with the process of painting that the naming of a multitude of thematic pictures can seem redundant. At one time I was painting so many beach scenes (and really enjoying myself) in a series that I just started numbering them. One doesn't always have the time to consider a piece and let it speak to you . Often I am thinking about the next one before the present one is finished.

If you are the owner of Beach 3 or Beach 11 don't think I didn't care enough to come up with a specific name; I put all my energy into each one. It's just a different process than working on a singular subject.

Large paintings like "The Promise" require more time and energy during their development so the painter gets to know them intimately. They usually name themselves.
This one speaks to me about the promise of new growth in the spring vines and the promise of rain in the gathering clouds. Also not shown but implied is the promise in the coming rainbow of God's covenant , no global flood ever again.

"The Promise" can be viewed/purchased at Sleeping Giant Winery; be sure to try their great fruit wines.

Here's the finish of the painting posted last week. I will name this one "Garnet Valley"



No comments:

Post a Comment