Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Evolution of a Painting

Day 1


Day 2


Day 3


Day 4


Painting outdoors is exhilarating and challenging. To work from life develops into a relationship between the artist and his/her subject. Empathy increases in proportion to the duration of the project. Colours shift as the sun arcs across the sky, various animals impose themselves into the piece and breezes (or should I say gales) create modulating reflections on grasses, leaves and water.

I'm posting a series of stages that one painting has taken throughout four sessions outdoors on four different days.
Day 1 Initial block-in with thin paint, lots of observation
Day 2 Starting with far hills developed trees, grasses and sky.
Day 3 Building on with thicker paint, making stronger decisions, what stays and what goes. Wild winds came close to picking up my umbrella and dragging my whole painting station over the cliff. For now I'm learning to paint one handed using the other to secure my gear. Shall come up with a better plan later.
Day 4 Worked in the studio to escape the hot, dry conditions in the bush. Need to get the painting back out once more but I think it would be irresponsible to drive my truck out in the present high hazard conditions.

After investing so much concentration on this place I know that if ever I see this painting in the future I will clearly recall the heat, wind, bugs, scents and visual impressions of this particular time. Painting from photos in my studio never treats me to these re-collective bonus' .

No comments:

Post a Comment